Friday 17 February 2012

Heels


Stylish Choices
Fashion fades, only style remains the same.
-       Coco Chanel
   
A Closet Content Analysis: Heels
NICE                   NO THANKS         NOTE-WORTHY                NEED

High heels were invented by a woman who had been kissed on the forehead.
  -  Christopher Morley

NICE: My Jimmy Choo purchase in the Spring of 2011 was one of my NICEST fashion purchases. This pair of nude peep-toe shoes represented much more in my life than the fact that I was spending more money than I ever had spent on a chic pair of heels. Although high, they are surprisingly comfortable.




Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.
- Faith Whittlesey

NO THANKS: I don’t have a photo of my NO THANKS silver and black strappy heels because I took them to the consignment store before I began this fashion blog. The cost was in that $70.00 (Cdn) range. I obviously liked the look of them but wearing them was impossible. My foot was not contained and it slid forward with each step so that my toes were hanging out over the sole. They were not even that high. The construction was just wrong. I would have to stop after walking a bit, hang onto something and try to wiggle my way back up the sole so that I could resume walking. (By the way I received $11.00 for them from the consignment store.)

NOTE-WORTHY: My first pair of purple shoes has been my most NOTE-WORTHY fashion choice and a very positive one. I bought them in Printemps (a department store) in Paris for about 70 Euros in the summer of 2010. Since I was in a rather conservative job, my shoes were mostly high-, medium- and low-heeled black, black on black, maybe black with a strip of beige and to be totally outrageous, black patent. These purple suede heels helped me think outside of the “shoebox” with red patent sandals, pink high heels and even more purple choices.



NEED: A pair of red patent heels or a pair of red-soled heels, specifically the Christian Louboutin pumps Corneille in Mandarin red. The link will take you to the Spring/Summer 2012 collection.

Email JoyDCreations with your descriptions, and if you like, your photos and I'll include your NICE, NO THANKS, NOTEWORTHY or NEED in my posts.
 
Shoe Shopping Hints:
            Try shoes on at the end of the day when your feet are most stressed and maybe even a bit swollen from being on them for a long period.
            When you have decided on the look, try both shoes on and walk around the store for a bit, sit, cross your legs, stand, sit, walk around a bit more, stand and shift your weight and if possible walk up and down steps. Just standing in front of a mirror tells you only that you like the style (please refer to my NO THANKS heel purchase).

Shoe Caring Tips:
            Replace heel tips before the heel and leather are worn down to a point of not possible to repair or so expensive, it’s not worth repairing.
All leather shoes, particularly suede, should be pre-treated with a protective spray that repels water and other liquid stains. Commercial suede cleaning blocks or suede erasers, and a suede brush clean suede shoes and boots most effectively. Prevention with the protective spray will save your shoes and prevent further expense for cleaning.
  
Welcoming your comments about the heels in your closet and your shoe buying experiences.

6 comments:

  1. Love the site - more like a website than a blog. Super tips and great photos. Of course you wouldn't save photos of 'no thanks'! Any tips about scarves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you dancing spider for officially being my first comment. Much appreciated. This is a new commitment for me and so I too shall evolve along with the blog. I brainstormed a list of categories and sub-categories, and yes scarves will be posted eventually; but at the moment, I must admit I have been "afraid" of wearing scarves. I guess my first tip would be, "Just wear it where it drapes!" People like me who are afraid of scarves admire anyone who wears them.

      Delete
    2. Hey Dancing Spider, I found a great youtube clip on 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes - the link is on the Stylish Connections page.

      Delete
  2. Your purple shoes caught my eye because the strap appears to wrap your ankle. I broke my ankle a couple of years ago and need support in an elegant pair of heels. Do you find that this wide strap gives your ankle extra stability with the heels?

    from the West Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To "from the West Coast": The wide strap on the purple shoes does not wrap the ankle. The strap sits at the top of the midfoot, just before the ankle begins. Therefore it is strictly decorative and provides no extra stability. Too bad but there must be a pair of heels out there that fit your criteria.

      Delete
  3. Through friendly intervention I have come to learn that a wedge heel gives one a most divine stability. Wedge heels seem to be currently fashionable so I'm thinking that the wedge heels would be a "nice" choice for "from the west coast".
    -Elana

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.