Tuesday 5 January 2016

Re-Constructing a Fur Coat

Original fox trimmed mink coat that was re-constructed.
Photo taken by MachelleP.
NO THANKS: One of my resolutions for 2016 was "to update my clothing through some method of reconstruction rather than buying new". I actually began with the thought of re-constructing my fur coat and completed this resolution through 2015. It was a mink trimmed with fox, purchased in the 1980s. The fox had deteriorated in colour and grade over the 20 year gap when I never wore it and never had it "professionally" stored. Last April I began the process of having it re-made with a visit to The Bay (a previously Canadian owned department store but now in the hands of an American company since 2008) fur department. 

It was a friend, Louise K, who had successfully transformed her coat into a short jacket at the Bay and it was through her suggestion that I began the process. She too found that she was wearing her jacket more than she ever wore her coat.

NICE: I had it re-made into a short reversible jacket. I have only seen it in photos because I am still in France and the work was done in Canada. I am satisfied with what I see in the photographs. I feel that I will wear this short version more often than the long. Although it was in the making in 2015, it arrives just in time to qualify it as my 2016 resolution.

The reversible feature offers so much more versatility . . . I am very pleased.




Re-constructed reversible mink jacket.
Photo taken by MachelleP.

Re-constructed reversible mink jacket.
Photo taken by MachelleP.
The successful reinvention of the coat gives momentum and motivation to keep this resolution of re-constructing and even re-purposing clothing. 

If this is a project you have thought about, The Fur Coat Revamp blog post outlines factors to consider if you want to re-create a fur coat. The writer was given a coat by her mother and so her initial motivation was different than mine but other than that, she presents a good cross-section of ideas to move you through this endeavour. 


Re-constructed reversible mink and all-weather fabric.
Photo taken by MachelleP.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.